Latin name: Aurelia aurita
Delicate Ocean Lace
- Lacking a skeleton or a protective shell, the jellyfish is made of a blue-white translucent gelatinous matter consisting of 98% water. The shape of its body resembles an umbrella.
- Its tentacles contain tiny urtican cells which enclose, in a capsule, some venom and a tiny barbed harpoon. When a prey comes in contact with the tentacles' micro cilia, the capsule bursts and shoots out its small barbed harpoon.
- It is carnivorous and feeds mainly on small plankton organisms: tunicate larvae, copepods, rotifers, nematodes, young polychaetes, diatoms and fish eggs.
- Throughout the day, it performs circadian migrations, its moves are dictated by sunlight, searches for food up towards the water's surface and then back down again.
- The populations are thought to be constantly increasing and the species is not threatened with extinction.
South Pacific Odyssey Pavilion