Latin name: Equus burchelli boehmi
A Coat that Stands Out!
- The zebra is undeniably characterised by its stripes! Far from being a simple decoration, they serve as camouflage, confuse predators, regulate its internal temperature and repel biting insects.
- In addition to being fast, it is also a great traveler with excellent endurance: it can go for hundreds of kilometers in a single day in order to find food and water.
- This is a gregarious animal. In general, groups are made up of about ten individuals from the same family, and a dominant stallion.
- Zebras have many natural predators, this is why they live in large groups and remain close to wildebeest, gazelle and ostrich herds; those are easier prey for lions and hyenas.
- Practically exterminated by the mid-19th Century, the Grant's zebra was protected by conservation measures and has made a comeback; there are now over half a million individuals in the wild.
Sudan to Zambia